Tips for reducing your child’s (and your own) risk of tooth decay:
- Consume sugary foods and drinks with meals. Saliva production increases during meals and helps neutralize acid production and also helps to rinse food particles from the mouth.
- Limit between-meal snacks. Try to offer nutritious snacks.
- Monitor beverage consumption. Rather than soda pop all day, children should also choose water and milk.
- Help your children develop good brushing and flossing habits.
- Schedule regular, preventive dental visits.
- Be a good example to your children by making healthy choices.
Practicing good oral hygiene habits early, coupled with following healthy eating habits, can ensure your child’s smile will shine for years to come!